Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Bit Of A Review


My thoughts are not focused in the least this morning, but I miss blogging so I will proceed unprepared. Let's see, I will start with this weekend and work my way backwards. General Conference...AMAZING! We enjoyed the family time and ate too much great food. I was excited to see that Haley and Collin had their favorite talks and are growing in their love for the Gospel. Did I have a favorite? So hard to choose. Elder Bednar's talk on the temple was one of my favorites. Elder Christopherson's talk on covenants was also very meaningful to me. I am so grateful to led by a prophet of God in these troubled times.

I was able to attend the General Auxillary Leadership Training last week with the General Young Women's Presidency. It was just what I needed to hear. I've been feeling a little trunky in my young women's calling, but it was clear to me within the first 5 minutes of Sister Dalton's message that I still have a purpose and a mission to fulfill as a young woman leader. I have found a renewed love for my calling and more specifically for "my" girls.


In connection with this, I decided to work on the Virtue value in personal progress. I have been learning some amazing things connected to virtue such as more about the kind of woman I want to be, the connection between virtue and the Holy Spirit, and where I personally stand on this path of virtue. I intend to complete this project and re-earn my Young Womenhood Recognition. A great project!


From my last post, you can see the fruits of my labors of the past 2 weeks: Haley's prom dress. We had a great time designing and making her dress together. It was a lot more work than I had imagined and made me appreciate my own Mom. She was also a great help with this project. I'm sure I called her at least 2 or 3 times a day. I don't know if we really saved money by making the dress if you include time. But Mom reminded me that as mother's, we don't count our time. It is truly a labor of love. I learned more about sacrifice and motherhood with this project than I have in a long time. What a wonderful blessing to be a mother!

Prior to the prom dress project, Sally asked me to speak at her Relief Society Birthday Pary. Sally is an amazing planner and the party was spectacular! There was a "Zen" theme with bamboo, rocks, sand, and gorgeous fresh flowers. The food was delicious. I spoke about the symbolism of bamboo: it is strong and resilient, it adapts to difficult environments and bends with the wind without breaking. Then I talked about my own life experiences that have required me to bend and adapt and most of all, trust in the Lord with all my heart. I wrote an arrangement of "The Lord Is My Light" for that night and Haley sang it with me. It was a tremendous growing experience for me. I learned so much and realized that I have a message to share. My life experiences have more meaning when they can be of help to someone else. Thank you, Sally, for a life-changing experience.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad you are blogging again! I have missed your insightful thoughts! The festival of colors is for anyone and everyone. It just so happened that the majority of people who attend are college students. Its sounds like life is a busy as ever for you and your family! I hope all is well! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back on too! I too have missed reading your blog. I always feel uplifted when I read your thoughts! I hope you are all well. Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so amazing! Thanks for all of your great thoughts! Wasn't conference wonderful? I'd still love to meet you and Sal and go to the temple if you get down this way. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete