Monday, January 12, 2009

Nature's Secret


While I sat eating my lunch this afternoon, I picked up a book and read:
Through primrose tufts, in that green bower,
The periwinkle trailed its wreaths;
And 'tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes.

This is one stanza of a poem by William Wordsworth. As I read it, I was struck by the power in nature to quiet our thoughts. I dreamily stared out my window and began watching a drip of water fall from the roof. As I watched this simple process, my mind became still and I felt immense peace and joy, even being brought to tears. I began to wonder if that tiny drip enjoyed falling so fast and so far. I wondered if it felt a thrill like dropping from the top of a roller coaster. I was sure that the water was happy. My favorite author, M. Catherine Thomas, wrote: "Throughout the history of the earth, Man comes and goes tending to his daily life in the midst of Nature and, though from time to time he is distracted by her beauty, he rarely sees into her secret." William Wordsworth saw that secret. I started to see into it today. I plan to spend more time this year understanding why all Creation was made. I hope to take more time watching the birds fly, the leaves dance, and the sun smile. Then I will smile and enjoy the air I breathe.

3 comments:

  1. Oh that is beautiful! I think we're on the same page. It makes me awestruck to think about our amazing world. I hope I can enjoy the same things you hope to, and I hope to be able to share them with my children. Isn't it crazy to think about all the living things in the world that we come across every day? Thanks so much for your post! I needed to read it! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, sorry that last comment is mine. I didn't realize my mother-in-law was signed in on my computer. So it's from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we need to do a temple trip soon!!!

    ReplyDelete