Monday, December 15, 2008

Without Murmuring....

There is a story in the Book of Mormon about a man named Lehi and his family who leave their home and journey into the wilderness. The Lord was leading them to a promised land. The journey was very difficult. Nephi, who is Lehi's son, says, "We did travel and wade through much affliction in the wilderness; and our women did bear children in the wilderness." (1 Nephi 17:1) I thought a lot about those women in the wilderness this morning and how difficult their lives must have been. They lived in tents. They probably walked as they journeyed. They didn't have many fires. No bathrooms, laundry, kitchens, day spas. There were probably wild animals, insects, extreme heat or cold, lack of food and water. I can only imagine how hard it must have been. Nephi continues, "And so great were the blessings of the Lord upon us, that while we did live upon raw meat in the wilderness, our women did give plenty of suck for their children, and were strong, yea, even like unto the men; and they began to bear their journeyings without murmurings." (17:2)

I have not been journeying without murmuring of late. In fact, I'm not sure if it even qualifies as murmuring anymore. Maybe outright whining and complaining. So how did these women do it? "And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them." (17:3) As we strive to keep the commandments of God, He does nourish us, strengthen us, and provide for us. Nourish, strengthen, provide. That is how these women bore their burdens without murmuring.

I asked myself, how has the Lord nourished me? To nourish is to promote the growth of something. We are in constant need of nourishment to our body and spirit. Yesterday I was nourished by the power of music. We sang Christmas hymns in Sacrament Meeting and in Young Women's. We took the youth group that sings in our home on Sunday nights out caroling last night. I was nourished by the energy of their youth, by the sound of their songs, and by the love that shone from the faces of the people we sang to. It was a marvelous day.

How has the Lord strengthened me? To strengthen is to make stronger or to increase our ability to resist force. I was strengthened this morning as I studied the good word of God. I am strengthened by a good husband who is patient and loving. I have asked myself if I am really getting stronger spiritually. What I am learning right now is how to dust off and get back up as I continually fall. Hopefully that is spiritual exercise.

The Lord continually provides for me and my family. I once learned that the definition of prosper is to be made able. So when the Lord says he will prosper those who love him, He is making them able to accomplish His work. This is happening continually in my life. I may not be getting rich, but I am being made able to do what needs to be done.

"I will also be your light in the wilderness.... and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led." (17:13) Not only does Jesus Christ nourish, strengthen,and provide, but He is our light! He is my Light! I do know that it is by Him that I am led. I feel Him near, bearing me up. I hear His reassuring voice, "I am right here." It keeps me going. Maybe I can begin to bear my journeying without murmuring. I will try. Then I will get back up and try again.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you...that is exactly what I needed to hear this morning- beautiful. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I love your thoughtful blog posts! We have no idea why we had our interesting visitors last night. They only would tell us that they were looking for this guy, and they heard that his friend named Haley lived at our apartment (which was a mistake). We really do feel safe, we always lock our doors and our windows are locked shut. So I don't think we are moving anytime soon. We have a lease until June. It was just a funny/random experience! I hope your family enjoys the holidays! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH i miss you guys! i hope you had a wonderful christmas. Love you/Allie

    ReplyDelete